When your kids head back to school, you do everything possible to set them up for success. You buy them books, school supplies and new clothes. You make sure they get a good night’s sleep and eat a healthy breakfast.
But it’s important to support them in another way if you want them to succeed at the start of the school year—it’s important to support their ability to stay focused and attentive, so they can give their schoolwork their all.
Some kids struggle with attention and focus more than others. It may even be a lifelong struggle. But the fact is, the beginning of the school year is an exciting time when most kids are easily distracted. New teachers, new friends and new afterschool activities can pull their attention away from the academic side of school. Certain kids may also have a hard time shifting into “school mode” after a summer away from the classroom.
No matter which category your kids fall into, there are tools you can use to help them, including vitamins, nutrients and herbs that support focus and attention. Here are a few nutritional tools you can use to help your kids start the school year out right:
- DHA Omega 3. Research shows that the omega 3 fatty acid Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) can improve brain function in children and help them with learning and focus. That makes it the perfect nutrient for a successful start to the school year.
- Phosphatidyl Serine (PS). A natural phospholipid, PS, is derived from soy which plays an important role in the functioning of brain cells and helps improve memory and learning.
- Phosphatidyl Choline (PC). A precursor of the neurotranmiter acetylecholine, PC, is a vital compound for messages from one nerve to another. It has been shown to have a positive effect on memory and learning ability.
- DMAE. Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) is a compound found in fish that supports brain health. Studies from as far back as the 1970s show that DMAE can improve concentration and possibly even memory.
- B vitamins. Research shows that B vitamin deficiencies are associated with concentration and attention difficulties . That explains why B vitamin supplements have been shown to boost attention span in children and adults. They can even promote a calm mood, which is helpful to kids who spend all day sitting in a classroom.
If you’d like to help your kids focus as they head back to school, consider a supplement that contains one or more of these brain-supporting vitamins and nutrients. Buried Treasure’s Added Attention liquid supplement is one option that contains these, along with other natural tools for focus and concentration, like GABA, lemon balm and trace minerals. Whatever you choose for your child, know you’re helping him or her achieve success this school year.