The eye is a complex organ that requires a variety of parts that must work together in order to provide you clear vision.
Major parts of the eye include (1):
- Optic nerve
- Tear ducts
Another essential part of the eye is the macula. This is an oval area near the center of the retina and the area of the eye with the strongest vision.
For protection, the macula relies upon macular protective pigment (MPP). This is a pigment naturally formed with vitamins meso-zeaxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Of these vitamins, meso-zeaxanthin is the most potent of all three and makes up 1/3 of the protective pigment. The MPP helps to protect vision by filtering out the damaging wavelengths of blue light (2).
Blue light is a high energy, short wavelength of light in the blue spectrum. This light is produced naturally by the sun, but also artificially by digital screens, LED, and fluorescent lighting. Natural blue light makes the sky look blue and helps regulate the sleep and wake cycles, also known as our circadian rhythm. It also helps to boost alertness, heighten reaction times, elevate moods, and increase the feeling of well-being (3).
Artificial blue light produces shorter wavelengths that flicker more easily than longer, weaker wavelengths. However, this kind of flickering creates a glare that can reduce visual contrast and affect sharpness and clarity. This flickering and glaring may be one of the reasons for eyestrain, headaches, physical and mental fatigue caused by many hours sitting in front of a computer screen or other electronic devices (3).
As a result, these harmful blue lights can lead to MPP damage causing a hazy sight and glare sensitivity. Functions impacted by a weak MPP are:
- Optical density – The degree that damaging light can be filtered
- Chromatic contrast – The ability to see subtle differences in color variation
- Photo Stress – The exposure to bright light and the time it takes the vision to return
Our eyes and macula become more prone to impairment as we age. The common eye condition, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), is characterized by damage to the macula and loss of sharp, central vision. This condition is the leading cause of vision loss in adults aged 50 and over.
Improving MPP can enhance glare recovery time, improved visual processing speed, and better chromatic contrast sensitivity (2).
What is LumiShield +Plus?
Buried Treasure Lumishield + is a nutrient dense liquid supplement providing powerful defense for the eyes. Made from a potent blend of natural ingredients and nutrients with research-backed benefits to eye health.
The 8 Natural Ingredients of LumiShield +Plus
- Vitamin C – Increased levels of vitamin C has been shown to promote eye health. Oppositely vitamin C deficiency has been detected in individuals with age-related cataracts (4).
- Vitamin D – Research shows that low vitamin D levels have been associated with an elevated risk of glaucoma in females, the presence of primary open-angle glaucoma, and dry eye syndrome. Studies also show that vitamin D supplementation may be useful to promote eye health in older adults (5).
- Zinc, Selenium, and Taurine – Are minerals that have been shown to support the health and function of the eyes. These are also antioxidants that aid in protecting against oxidative stress in the eye (4).
- Ginkgo – This is an herb that has been shown promote eye health in seniors.
- Bilberry – This is a berry high in naturally plant-based polyphenols like anthocyanins and resveratrol. These antioxidants protect against blue light and UV damage to the retina.
- Hyaluronic Acid – This is a naturally produced acid that’s part of the lubrication system of the eyes.
- Blueberries – These berries contain flavonoids, like anthocyanins, found in show benefit in reducing light-induced injury to the retina. Other phytonutrients found in blueberries protect the cornea from oxidative stress.
- Setria brand glutathione (reduced) – This is an important antioxidant for the body and is believed to be helpful for protecting corneal from oxidative stress (5).
Other LumiShield +Plus Benefits
Buried Treasure Lumishield + is a comprehensive eye health formula, addressing multiple eye concerns including eye lubrication, eye strain, and long-term vision health.
In addition to the already listed natural ingredients in this potent supplement, LumiShield also contains unique formulations for added eye strength while aging. Including:
- Xanthosight – A patented form of meso-zeaxanthin, derived from marigold(6).
- AREDS-2 – A 10,10,2 ratio of meso-zeaxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin, respectively is clinically shown to increase macular pigment density (7).
Can LumiShield +Plus Safeguard Your Eye Health as You Age?
In this modern and increasingly digital world, our eyes are becoming increasingly important. our eyes are the primary way we take in information, with 60% of people spend more than 6 hours a day in front of a digital device.
Reasons age related damage to sight may occur:
- Diet low in carotenoids, antioxidants, and vital nutrients
- Soil deplete even with a healthy diet
- Massive increase in blue light exposure
Buried Treasure Lumishield Plus is ideal for anyone looking to protect eyesight from age related sight damage, nutrition related sight damage, blue light damage, and simple over use and strain.
In regards to LumiShield, remember:
- The nutrients contained in this product need to be consumed regularly to continue to see the benefit.
- These nutrients cannot eliminate the need for glasses. That is another mechanism altogether
- Some of the nutrients included provide overall benefit to the eyes but LumiShield is not specifically formulated to help with night vision.
As always, seek the advice of a trusted medical professional when considering taking a new supplement, especially if you are experiencing side effects.
Author: Allison Lansman, RDN, LD